Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's a Wrap

This has been a pretty good month...you wouldn't know it since I haven't blogged for a while. So now it's time for a wrap-up so we can move toward a new month.

We started the month with a visit from my favorite (and only) brother and sister-in-law. I even made a count-down on our kitchen calendar for the boys. We did the touristy things like go to Carmel and Salinas, and spent a whole afternoon at the aquarium. The night we were going to dinner at Black Bears Diner, a place Noah has been waiting to take his Fu-fu, it was also the finale of Amazing Race All-Stars. So we did our own amazing race: with 20 mins before the start, we all walked over to the restaurant and ordered take-out. We got home just in time for the start. That was kind of more fun than actually eating there. Of course all too soon they had to go home...

The following weekend we went to an international festival organized by the international students at the grad school. In addition to colorful costumes (I wondered if the students pack the costumes as part of their belongings to attend grad school, or are they rented? Hmmm.) and yummy food from Europe, Asia, and Africa! We liked the Greek food, Noah liked the Filipino food, and Jonah liked cookies from the Holland booth.

Bummer realization: the on-base health clinic is only for active duty and kids...I'm on my own in this town. So recently when James went to see the docs about our on-going symptoms he was given the "good" meds. Antibiotics! I wanted some! I've had the same symptoms too...I ended up visiting the urgent care clinic in the neighborhood. Wow! It's open on weekends, I was in and out in 30 mins AND I got the "good" meds too. What a relief. We finally got rid of the nasal and chest gunk and now back to just "suffering" basic allergies when we go out to the park and stuff. Oh well, can't win them all. At least I know where I need to go next time.

I recently bumped into a former neighbor from Hawaii. Sure, I've met a number of women who transferred here from San Diego, and even a fellow San Diego native, but the connection to someone from Little Makalapa feels stronger. It's been more than two years since I was in Hawaii and when my friend and I passed each other in the Commissary and I asked her if she was my former neighbor, we had a nice reunion. We look forward to the kids playing together this summer.

So here we are at the three-day holiday weekend that unofficially launches us into summer...as we sat around yesterday morning having breakfast, we wonder what to do. James just wanted to get in the car and drive. Ok...his car's got the GPS...We decided to check out the new Thomas Town at Six Flags in Vallejo. I was excited, dressing the boys in their "favorite" shirts: Cars for Noah and Thomas the Tank Engine for Jonah. We got there...Thomas Town won't be opened until NEXT month!!! Other families were disappointed too; it's been advertised a lot lately. Oh well, we made do with Looney Tunes land for now...but we'll be back! (We bought season passes which can be used at all 18 Six Flags theme parks, but I know of only three that we can go to for now.)

After church today I tried my first-ever attempt at jook. Jook should be the easiest thing to make, next to boiled water...but I just never thought about it. Well I bought a rotisserie chicken the other night and put the bones aside just for this jook. I started with two cups of rice (like I usually make for dinner) put the bones in and added lots (and lots) of water and put it on low simmer. Who needs special candles, the seasoned chicken and rice makes the house smells soooo good! So warm. Hooray for comfort food!!!

No comments: