One of my recent entries mentioned a way cool fair ride that used to be called the Himalaya, but now more popularly known as the Silver Streak. As much as I love roller coasters, I will always love the Himalaya ride more; I can still hear that loud horn blasting...and my sister laughing her head off.
A reader of this blog was curious why the ride was named what it was; I wish I had taken a picture of that mini billboard. Here's what I remember reading: the ride originated in Europe; when riders were on it, the breeze created as it went round and round was similar to the cool breezes from the Himalayas. There was also some reference to the "mythical Shangri-la." Now that I think back, the old Himalaya always had some painted scene of snow-capped mountains as the back-drop...if only I could find out why the deafening horn was always blasted; if we were really in the Himalayas that would certainly cause an avalanche!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment