Saturday, November 03, 2007

From Grass to Water

Noah's rookie soccer season ended last Saturday. Everyone had a lot of fun. The Jaguars were a good team. I think it was the most consistent team to have five out of six teammates show up weekly; although last week I spied a mystery player that none of us ever saw before...and he looked half-a-head taller than the rest of the team. Hmmm...It was also great that two of Noah's friends from school were also on the team. It was a nice opportunity for us parents to get to know each other. Jonah didn't get left out because each of the boys also had a younger brother close to Jonah's age.

The next team sport is flag football but the minimum age is six, so the teammates are moving on; indoor soccer, swimming, karate, etc. We even learned of a Chinese class. Noah says he wants to try swimming. I visited two centers that have pools; unfortunately both have waiting lists for Noah's age group...but the Mom and Tot class is wide open. Ok! Jonah's turn...I think that is fair. The pool facility nearest us has open and family swim hours. Until a slot is open for Noah, we'll go to open swim. We went to to the pool for the first time this afternoon. We can only hang out in the kiddie pool (3 ft.) anyways. It not fancy (like the facility downtown) but it's indoor and the water is usually around 85 degrees.

Noah took to the water like a fish! He doesn't really know how to swim yet, but he was not afraid to dunk under the water. I tried to teach him how to float, but he's so wirey and excited to be there, that I spent more time telling him to "relax." The I taught him how to take a deep breath, go under the water and blow bubbles; he liked that. NOT that I know how to swim all that great, but I know the basics...Jonah...Jonah sat on the top step for a long time, just putting his feet in the water and splashing around. I tried to carry him into the pool and walk around but he was scared. So I sat with him on the steps. After 15 minutes he decided to move down one step and get into the water a little more. Then he got on his tummy and tried to kick his feet. A little later I watched him blow bubbles on the water. He's such an observer! I think (hope) we'll have fun in the swim class that starts next week.

No comments: