The white blob is supposed to be the football. I used the "limited" pina colada flavor gelatin. So glad it was "limited." I don't recommend that flavor. Stick to tried and true strawberry, and the boys' fav, berry -- because it's blue.
Super Bowl came and went. Thankfully. Ate too much junk food...
Chinese New Years was just around the corner. If we were home that would mean more food. Across the country, my brother was craving some Nian-gow, Chinese New Year sticky rice cake. Every year, weeks before the actual holiday our grandmother would be cooking up a storm. She would make from scratch pans of rice cake and taro cake, to dishes for the acual New Years Eve dinner. In an email to my siblings, I said I think I watched her enough that I could possibly make a steamed rice cake...the challenge was on. Our friend Uncle J. even offered a recipe he found in his mother's files, but it started with 2 lbs. of glutaneous rice flour. 2 lbs. I didn't have the engery to convert it so I found a recipe online that called for 1 1/2 cups.
My first attempt was disasterous! I used regular rice flour instead of the sweet rice flour. I also ended up pouring most of the batter into the steaming water of my fry pan...because it was hot! Then I ran over to the local supermarket and found the sweet (glutaneous) rice flour, whipped up a second batch and the batter was more like I remembered -- except unlike our grandmother, I did not stir the ingredients with my hand. 45 mins. later I had what resembled a nice homemade New Year cake on the kitchen counter. Noah liked it!
According to my brother, even though I didn't use the "right" sweet rice flour, the true test will be a week from now when I slice pieces, dip them in an egg wash and pan fry. Sounds yummy, huh?!
Stay tuned....
and Happy Year of the Rat! Maybe next year I can attempt to cook another of the family's New Year dishes.

1 comment:
grandma's probably really proud. grandpa's probably thinkin, "what the hell?!"
Post a Comment