Monday, April 28, 2008

Short But Memorable Visit

This past weekend I planned a surprise trip on Saturday morning for the boys to see Fu-Fu and Ivy who would be in the San Jose area for a friend's wedding. Unfortunately our plans were changed at the last minute and instead of a relaxing trip on Saturday, it was a whirl-wind trip Sunday morning...and just enough time for breakfast.

I toyed with the idea of booking a room at the hotel where they would be, just so we could all have more time to hang out, but thankfully I didn't! Bad weather in Chicago caused a delay in the first segment of their flight; then they learned their connection was canceled; finally after 3 (or was it 5) hours stuck in the plane on the runway in Philly, that flight was also canceled.

I decided that has become my worst nightmare. Now that I have kids I just can't imagine being stuck in a plane on a runway for an indefinite amount of time. Even for a one-hour flight to go home, I worry that the boys will bother others on the plane. But thankfully they enjoy the flight home -- and I fill each of their backpacks with toys and snacks...and they each get a window seat! (It's just awesome for Noah to see Petco Park from an airplane window!)

Anyways, Fu phoned me about their situation while they were stuck in the plane, I got on the computer and we got to work on alternate travel plans and contacted their hotel to let them know of a later arrival. (It was shades of Amazing Race) Fu said it was great timing because right after I gave him the airline's phone number, the announcement about the whole flight being canceled caused all the passengers to "rush" to the ticket counter to be rebooked, but he was able to do it all from where he sat.

Sunday morning I woke up a little after 6, thought I would have to load the boys in the car still in the PJs, but since they already knew we were going to see Fu-Fu and Ivy, they were up too! James asked how come we never get up that early/fast on other days; go figure...(yes, just this morning I woke up to the alarm and wondered "where am I?" and went back to sleep for another 15 mins.)

We had breakfast at a place called Stacks. It was family-friendly, but definitely a step up from places where we are used to eating. The boys were their usual busy selves, but they didn't bother anybody else.



Even though it was short, it was a good visit. The boys got to see Fu-Fu, Ivy and Fu-Fu's pinky toe!

No comments: