I had my worries about Jonah starting preschool. Those memories of Noah standing at his preschool playground fence those first few mornings crying and saying "don't go mom" are still so vivid. But whenever I'd ask the teachers about it, they didn't remember him crying and said as soon as my car left the parking lot he ran off to play with friends. My co-worker said it was called "Mommy Guilt." Thankfully Noah only did it a few times, which was totally normal.
This preschool held an open house where all the parents sat in the back to observe the students go through a "simulated" morning. No parental involvment was needed or encouraged, but it may be that just knowing moms and dads were in the room was helpful. Nobody cried...and since then nobody has cried! =)
Jonah finds his cubby to put his coat and bag:
One thing I'm very excited about through this program is the snack time. Jonah has, and continues to be, a picky eater. The snack time features tasks to develop independence and responsibility; students take turns passing out napkins and cups, then they pour their own water or milk (from a kid-size plastic measuring cup) and pass the snack items to each other. There is usually one fruit and one pretzel or cookie/cracker type snack. Jonah seems to be more willing to eat (or try) things when he's around peers, than with me...I saw him eat an orange wedge at school, where at home he will refuse; it has to be peeled and cut in small pieces. (Ai-Yaaah!)
He only started eating Cheez-Its because it was a snack at Noah's old preschool and when we'd go to pick Noah up, Jonah got to sit down at the snack table with the other kids...Recently he asked for Cheez-Its. I bought a box. Then I found Cheeze-It Scrabble Jr. (each cracker has a letter of the alphabet on it.) thinking he loves alphabet soup and Alpha Bits cereal...of course he had to say he didn't like it and wanted the "old one with the dot in the middle." (It's the same cracker!) But the other night I was snacking and he said he was hungry, I said all I had was Cheez-Its and since he doesn't like them, he can't have any...suddenly he said "I like them..."
All right!

1 comment:
who wants to do ABC's with fu over skype?!
Post a Comment