I can now say it: "I work for a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper!"
Many years it's been so close and finally this year the UT got one. This morning started with a memo from our Editor telling us that Pulitzers would be announced at noon. She said regardless if we won or not, she was very proud of the work we've done and cited numerous stories and projects.
Then it was noon and everyone started looking on the news wires, we were the third or fourth announcement, after Hurricane Katrina coverage and some New York Times winners. I heard an editor say "there it is...San Diego Union-Tribune!" and suddently the whole newsroom came to life. People stood up from their desks, started clapping, and editors hugging each other. I got up from my desk, turned around and saw newsroom staffers gravitating to this side (where our Editor's office is). Soon the Editor and David Copley arrived and everyone just cheered! She was beaming; so happy! She said a few words, but then said "I'm speechless" and "I have to sit down!" The clapping continued. It was such a thrilling moment!
After a few more words from the Editor and Mr. Copley about how it was just a prize, but the best prize was working together (which brought tears to my eyes) the champagne bottles were popped open. So exciting to see them just take a drink from the bottle. Everybody got a small glass of champagne to celebrate!!!!
Sure the award goes to a small group of reporters who wrote the stories about former Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham, but it's all about teamwork too. Everyone has a small part in getting our newspaper together to inform our readers.
I just answer phones...but I'm sure I've taken calls from people who wanted to talk to a reporter about what the ex-congressman did or give their two-cents thoughts to the newspaper...
I work for a Pulitzer Prize-winning newpaper! So there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
your posts are most enjoyable mrs. wong. i should come and "stalk" you more often! hee hee hee. talk to you soon
lillian :)
Post a Comment