James' brother was visiting us, so we thought it'd be fun to go and check out the fair. It was Military Appreciation Day so we all got in free of charge. Yay! We weren't planning to stay long; all fairs seem to be similar. And since it was after dinner, we didn't want to over-stimulate the boys. So we agreed that they could each pick out one ride. (Even though it was after dinner, I was looking around at the fair food booths...but pretty slim pickings: cinnamon buns, funnel cake, BBQ, and deep fried stuff. Pass. Got my fix at the DMF anyways and it was way more fun to stuff my face with my sisters.)
The rides. As soon as Jonah saw the kiddie train that's what he wanted. Noah was looking for something "bigger and faster." I took Jonah and James took Noah. Jonah loves riding trains and at Magic Mountain and Legoland, he rode by himself...but after I buckled him in, he started crying; maybe because it was at night. So I had to ride with him. It was a very slow moving train...but for 3 tickets per person, that train went around 6 times! James said Noah went through a fun house and they still had some tickets left. Then I spotted IT! The Himalaya!!! (It's now called the Silver Streak, but right next to the ride with a board that explained why it was first called the Himalaya. Interesting -- and probably something only I would read.) It's THE ride that my sister and I regularly seek out at the DMF and earlier this summer we brough the tradition to the next generation: Noah and his cousin went on the Silver Streak together. This time he was going to ride with Dad...{duh duh duuuuh} I don't think James knew what he was in for...or maybe he did. That ride is awesome...It goes round and round and gets faster and faster; the force makes the person sitting on the inside smash into the person on the outside (the larger person is encouraged to sit on the outside and my sister and I always fight about that. Once the ride starts, my sister and I start laughing until tears come out of our eyes). Then just when you think the ride is over, it goes BACKWARDS! What my sister and I liked best about the Himalaya was the wild loud rock music and a crazy 18-wheeler horn blasting at various intervals. Also on the Himalaya, a vinyl tarp would come up and cover the riders; I'd always scream "it's dirty!" and we'd laugh even more. Well, back to Noah and James...No doubt about it, it's Noah's favorite ride. As for James...let's see, the fair closed and packed up 2 days ago; we went nearly 6 days ago...he is still in pain. Well, some traditions are just meant to be passed down through my side of the family. =)

1 comment:
Ahhhhhhh, the Silver Streak!! We went to the local county fair back when Katie was almost ten and on chemo for leukemia; that was the kids' favorite ride! They were so shocked when it started going backward. We have a great picture somewhere of them on the ride, and I remember almost crying because bald little Katie was so happy.
BTW, you didn't explain why the ride was originally called the Himalaya . . . . And I'm glad they don't have a dirty tarp come down on the riders!
Hugs, Pat (and Dan) Lee
Post a Comment