Saturday, August 04, 2007

Oh the Memories

I guess I don't need to wonder anymore about Jonah's memory development. Seems he's on his way to developing that steel-trap memory just like Noah.

Yesteday we went to a Meet and Greet at the school where Noah will attend kindergarten (begining 8 a.m. MONDAY) and met his teacher Mr. Neal (Yay! more on this later). Outside the classroom was a PTA table and a woman was giving membership envelopes to the parents and a free pencil to all the kids. When we got in the car I told the boys I'd hold the pencils so nobody would fight OR poke the seats...I put the pencils in the glove compartment. Out of sight -- out of mind. Or so I thought!!! This morning Jonah's trying to get on the kitchen counter, looking in a drawer and I asked him what he wanted, "my pesol." I offered him one of the many pencils we have the in drawer and he waved them all off. Finally he said "in dad car." Oh geez! He remembered the pencil from the school that I put in the glove compartment...

Noah's teacher. We are in Mr. Neal's class! A few months ago we went to an open house at this school. I think the event was for current students, but shortly after I registered Noah to attend public school, I stopped by the school to get more info. and the secretary gave me a heads up on it. So we went. We met four kindergarten teachers; only one was male. All the teachers were nice and the classrooms looked typical, but Mr. Neal stood out because he was very enthusiastic AND kept a real live chameleon in his class. (not that I like that sort of thing. i.e. those wreched geckos in Hawaii.) We were really hoping Noah would be placed in this class because it just seems fun! And it will be his first experience with a male teacher. Between preschool and Sunday Schools, it's always been females...we are all excited for Monday morning to come around.

Back to Jonah...not only is his memory developing very well, he's getting to be musical and as silly as Noah. Recently Jonah has found great humor in saying "poopie poopie cah cah." It can drive me crazy but I'm trying really hard to ignore it.

(Note: the following includes "graphic" potty training words. You have been "cotshuned," -- cautioned -- as Noah will say.)

I've kind of been trying to potty train Jonah...at least we've gotten to the point he is not against sitting on the potty and now he doesn't mind wearing "pee pee pants" occasionally instead of diapers. I try to watch him for the signs of when it's time for him to do business, but it's been a big challenge this week with Noah at home too. But this morning's experience has got to be the most surprising to date. Jonah comes and tells me he has to poopie. I get him seated on the potty and he starts singing to the tune of "Farmer in the Dell": "poopie in the butt, poopie in the butt, high-hoe the dairy oh, poopie in the butt." And laughing the whole time...I have no idea where he learned this. I hope it's just another phase...

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Re: Pencils. Very scary. I think I've heard more horror stories about pencils than anything else.

Looking forwarding to hearing when Jonah is fully potty trained!

Mrs. Wong said...

Hi Darlene...Remember the pencil machines that used to be in the school office? Still there! 25 cents now; I remember them being 10 cents...