Friday, November 21, 2008

All We Could Do Was Stare and Say Wow!

This morning we woke up and saw our neighborhood covered in a blanket of snow! It was like a scene from a Christmas card. This was very exciting for everyone. The boys ate breakfast fast because dad said they could go out to play before the school bus arrived. I turned on the tv just in case there was school announcements (but it really is too early in the season for that.)



Time to clear a path to the garage so James could get to work. We were prepared: the shovel used to belong to Uncle Simon and Auntie Ivy when they lived in Boston and Philidelphia. (Thanks).

But Jonah got to play little more:


Maybe Noah knows something I don't know...yesterday I went to a parent-teacher conference. His teacher showed me some pages from his journal. Sometimes it's sentences the class writes together, sometimes they are given a topic and everyone writes their own sentences. Mrs. B showed me a page that after she read a story about seasons of the year, she asked the students to write about their favorite season. Noah's entry was about liking winter, snowball fights, and sledding. Hmm...two things we've never done before.

I don't think anybody in the area expected snow this early in the season. Friends told us last year the winter was mild. I misunderstood that and thought mild meant no snow. (Where I grew up "mild" to me means warm) ...but I learned that here "mild" means just a lesser degree of snow. There will still be snow, but it was stuff that melted by mid-morning. Yesterday at my MOPs group a mom said "remember the year of the big blizzard?" Hmmm, "big blizard" to "mild"...I guess we'll just have to be prepared for anything.

And I have been preparing. We have hats, gloves/mittens, and coats. Recently we added ear muffs. Last year at the end of the season I bought Jonah a pair of snow boots. on clearance. Just yesterday as I was shopping for something else, I saw a pair of boots in Noah's size (on sale) and bought them, thinking I don't want to have to go looking for this when I need them. I'm glad I did. He wore them to school today. Today I went back and got James a pair, because he said he'll get them later...but I know he won't (he doesn't like shopping). I just have to point out that kids/mens snow boots are much more "sturdy" feeling than the styles I've seen for women. I am currently getting by with my rain boots until I find something that don't have all these laces, buckles, and "bells and whistles" and within my price range.

Going to stare out the window again and maybe make some hot chocolate for Jonah and me.

No comments: