Maybe I was staring at the snow too long (it melted in two days) but December sure got here fast! Can't even blame it on Thanksgiving leftovers because there are none. We didn't have a traditional turkey meal this year. We went to visit friends in Virginia and had dinner at a Chinese buffet.
So I brought the tree up from the basement and gave the boys the plastic candy canes to start decorating. I still need to fill the Advent Calendar pockets, but thankfully the library's storytime craft project was a Santa's Christmas Countdown (a cotton ball is glued to the picture of Santa to eventually form Santa's beard) so they've started counting. Last year I bought them each a chocolate-filled calendar from Trader Joe's, but I don't want them to think it's about chocolate. They are older now and I'm looking forward to teaching them more about the true meaning of the season.
This evening I was attempting to bake Russian Tea Cakes/Mexican Wedding Cookies. The recipe turned out to be wrong! I was excited when I was mixing the ingredients together and rolling out the little balls, but that soon turned to shock and disappointment when I opened the oven after 15 minutes and all the cookies were flat! That never happened when mom made these cookies (I was not using her recipe). She always makes baking look so easy, but she also always says when trying out a new recipe, it has to be done a few times. I am grateful for Betty Crocker's website; the correct recipe calls for one more cup of flour than the recipe I was using. Well, of course these flat cookies didn't go to waste...James "sampled" and Noah snacked. Jonah wasn't sure what they were so he asked for Cheddar Bunnies (he doesn't know what he is missing, but I'll try again tomorrow).
In between my attempt at baking I thought I heard a fire engine sound its alarm once, just outside. I looked out the window and saw flashing lights two streets over and neighbors standing outside their homes (there is an open lot in front of where we live.) Being somewhat an ambulance chaser, I thought there might be an emergency, but as the trucks continued slowly down that street I then thought I saw the outline of Santa sitting on top of the first vehicle...soon a few neighbors on our street came out of their homes to see what was going on. Someone else said they thought there was a Santa too. Sure enough, a few moments later the sirens and lights were coming down our street like a little parade! It stopped in front of our house and a fireman hopped out and gave the boys each a goodie bag; all the kids in our neighborhood got a bag. It was so neat! A personal visit from Santa and friends.
The boys don't believe in Santa; they say it's just a man in a costume. It's ok with me. But it was sure a nice thing the local fire station did tonight! My hope is as the boys grow up they continue to believe in the spirit and the reason for the season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment