I can't believe it's happened again: out-of-control wildfires in San Diego. I remember so clearly when it happened in 2003...waking up Sunday morning and seeing a brownish-orange sky, and the air was thick. It was eerie. The journalist in me knew it was a fire...somewhere. It ended up to be one of the biggest wildfires in the county, until now...
Last Saturday I saw something on the home newspaper's website about Santa Ana winds and fire alerts through Tuesday. I get the gut-feeling it's not going to be good. Sunday morning I wake up to see headlines about a fire in Malibu, CA...after church I checked the Internet again and saw stories about two fires in San Diego county. From that moment I was glued to the computer. I read stories and listened to SignOn's radio station (which I learned just started up last week). Part of me wishes I was there, back in the newsroom...back among the reporters and editor. But that's not part of my life anymore. I'm more than 400 miles away, thinking about everyone and praying for their safety.
Two of my sisters and their families were evacuated from their homes (as a precaution) in different parts of the county. My youngest sister got sent home from work early. Everyone went to mom and dad's, of course. That again made me wish I was home...just to be together. It must be a surreal feeling to have to evacuate from your home. But a house, car, and material possessions can be replaced. The important thing is for everyone to be safe. I'm glad they are all safe.
My brother is farther away from home than me. He and I g-chat everyday. He puts funny things on his message box: "The Sox are on fire, but not literally, like San Diego," and "it's a comfortable 73 degrees here; 2000 degrees in San Diego." I'm glad he makes me laugh...
The fires are not out yet...I hope the Santa Ana winds pass soon. I'm going to read more news stories and blogs, I feel I'm headed for information overload.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hannah, I feel your pain!! I wish I were there too. So many people we love are there. Almost everyone we know was evacuated. I talked with Steve this afternoon, that was really good. It was great just to hear someone's voice from out there.
Hugs to you all!
Love, Pat Lee
i wish i could've joined the slumber party too...
Post a Comment