It's a little disappointing to me. The park has a play structures features bungy-like rope and climbing stuff, but it's surrounded by a cage-type enclosure -- weird! The next section has two or three swings (so not enough!) and a number of pogo stick-looking thing bolted to the ground which kids can climb on and sway every-which-way. (insert sarcastic "oh yay.") It doesn't seem kid-friendly to me; it's too "artsy" and sterile. The museum. Well, since it opened (re-opened) last month, maybe there are still things to be added...it's very "clean." It's also in a concrete building. There is a nice balance of hands-on activities like painting, modeling clay, and bubbles, but also has some techy stuff for tweens.
Maybe I'm just so old school; I like primary colors and simple activities to spark the imagination. I am of the thinking that too much high-tech stuff will push old fashion creativity to the back seat; maybe it already has. My boys and their cousins spend so much time on the computer and playing with their video games that this morning I did not allow Noah to bring his Game Boy out. I put on the coffee table a stack of construction paper, "crazy" scissors, an assortment of paper punches, and tape and said "we'll have arts and crafts morning today." They didn't complain...
Maybe later when it's not so hot we'll go outside and toss some water balloons around.

No comments:
Post a Comment