We've been attending West Shore Evangelical Free Church since our first week in town. Each week seems better than the week before. I don't want to exaggerate and put high expectations on the church...but truly from that first Sunday, I felt God's love, and it keeps on growing.
That first Sunday I will never forget seeing a worship team up in the front and suddenly I hear the sounds of a organ. I haven't heard an organ played in church since maybe my high school days. Back at our home church, the sounds of the organ brings an old fashioned homey feeling, along with singing hymns. That has since given way to contemporary youth bands, which now feature drums, electric guitars, and praise song.
At West Shores the organ was joined by the band to play "A Mighty Fortress" and it was just a powerful way to worship God. That was the first time tears came to my eyes during worship. A few weeks later I saw three young boys in the front row joyously singing during the worship time; I don't know if they were related or just friends, but they sang so whole-heartedly. I whispered to James...in a few years that's going to be Noah and Jonah. The tears came to my eyes again. Today there was some special sharing by a group of people about how God has changed their lives...from something so simple as a person who's life was focused on themself and earning lots of money to now living for the Lord, or someone who was praising God for being cancer free for the past 4 years. It moved me. More tears.
I don't remember ever feeling so emotional in church before...at retreats or conferences, sure. You are focused and caught up in the event. But going to church weekly became such a given; so routine. Besides, I knew everyone and it seemed more to just go and fellowship with each other. Church was church. I was taking everything for granted.
Having this opportunity to worship at West Shore is a blessing. We don't know that many people; we're getting to know people through our fellowship group/Sunday School class, but we're really feeling the love of God's people!!
Today we went to Family Worship where parents can join their kids from grades 1 to 6 for 30 minutes of worship. There was a call for volunteers. I think we've found a place we can start serving. The energy from these kids is just amazing!
God's love is amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment