Friday, September 26, 2008

Jonah-Speak

Standing bats...cow dogs...and disco balls...

Jonah-speak is much more funnier than when Noah was at the same age...and I honestly can't remember the stuff Noah used to say. Truly, being a first-born has its good and bad...we put so much "pressure" on them. I know. I'm a first-born. So is James. But that's an aside...

Yesterday Jonah and I were in a Marshall's. On our way to kids' shoes Jonah says "those are standing bats." HUH?! I look. It's a display of women's boots for the fall season. The boots are stuffed with some plastic so they are standing...and I guess from Jonah's perspective they look like baseball bats. Then we wandered over to the home section because I love kitchen stuff, especially discounted. Christmas decorations are filling some aisles. Jonah sees some boxes of ornaments and says "hey, disco balls!" At the same time another shopping is in the aisle with us and she asks his age and then says "you got a smart one there." (I'm also thinking...is it odd that a 3.5 year old would have "disco ball" as part of his vocabulary?)

Jonah is the more observant of my boys; Noah, the impulsive one. Jonah also listens better. I used to joke that while I was pregnant with Jonah, he could hear me yelling all the time for Noah to stop -- running around, climbing, whatever chaotic things 2.5 year old boys do -- or "no Noah..." so Jonah was a very easy baby. As he grew into a toddler, he seemed more brooding or serious and whenver we'd go to the park to play he was definitely the more careful one; assessing the other kids at play, or observing each play structure before using it.

I could also call Jonah my enforcer. He remembers rules better than Noah and is always the one reminding Noah of them. (keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle, no running, hold hands, only eat at the "eating table." etc.)

And the cow dog? On the way to church we pass a few farms and fields. We always see the cows grazing in the field and once there must have been a dog out there. Jonah says "I see a cow dog." I ask him what it looked like and he says a dog...with bwack (black) dots. He does know that a cow says "moo" and a dog "woof." =)

No comments: