Monday, April 02, 2007

Options Please

I doubt if ever I'll live in a town as great as San Diego where I'm within 15 mins of no fewer than five Costcos and three Targets Stores (and two are BIG Targets), and less than 5 mins from a Trader Joes, and three major supermarkets. As nice as Monterey is, sometimes I just with there were a few more options...

Today I had to go to the post office...first I had to find a mailer box. I tried Target, but the biggest mailer box was the size of a shoe box. Ironically, I had to mail two pairs of shoes. I could have taken the shoes out of the box and just rolled it in bubble wrap and put them in a big puffy envelope, but they are gifts and having the original boxes would be nice. I thought of finding that UPS store, but I want to support the post office (our mailman at home just so nice! Shout out to our man "T!") I know it doesn't really make sense. Anways, when I got to the post office I had to get the largest box - it was too big, but the next smaller size was too small!!! At least I brought my own packaging tape (what a rip off to buy it there.) The line was long...and not moving that fast so I had time to put the box together, address it while not losing my place; there was enough leftover room in that box to send two more pairs of shoes! Like Mom always says "bigger can be made smaller." The worst thing about going to this post office is I think the front counter clerks deliberately work slow. I swear I saw one clerk constantly looking at the line: "yes the line is getting longer and not moving much. Can you work just a little faster?!" Fortunately I got the other clerk, and I was prepared. Also, thankfully Jonah was being really good..No fussing. There were some new Star Wars posters previewing the new stamps, so he was busy looking at them and saying "tar-wors."

There is also one Ikea store in the area and it's about an hours drive away! So we did our road trip this weekend, driving to Ikea to buy one, yes just one, Mammut table to match the boys' Mammut chairs. My coffee table that they were using is currently the computer table...furniture at their level.

On the flip side, we got rid of the digital cable. Talk about having too many options and not really much to see...the only thing I miss was the on-screen channel guide; now I have to flip back to one channel (yeah, just one again) and wait until it cycles through ALL the channels. But we don't seem to be watching that much TV anyways. Now that baseball season is starting, as long as we have a good station that offers NL games -- hopefully Padres...I'll be happy.

We are really excited that baseball season is starting! The Padres first series is with the Giants. Too bad it's on "school nights" or we'd make the drive, but we'll have better seats here at home and I found some Jiffy Pop popcorn (the kind where you put the pan on the stove and watch it pop up in the tin foil dome)...$1 Target! Can't wait until tomorrow night: my boys, me, Jake Peavey and Jiffy Pop!

Noah and Jonah got Croc shoes recently. It's all they talk about! Noah wants to wear his to school, but I tell him, they will get messed up and you won't get another pair -- because their Crocs were a gift from Poa-Poa. I also just bought Noah a new pair of Stride-Rites. The style resembles an alligator; it's very cool. So I tell him "wear your 'gator shoes." He recently noticed the button on the shoe is the gator's eye -- that was exciting. I also bought the boys Diego flip-flops. It's very cool to see Jonah's chubby feet in flip-flops; and the amazing thing is he knows how to wear flip-flops without losing them. Last week we went over to the little shopping center. While I went into a store, James watched the boys as they played around the fountain with other kids. Just as I got to the fountain to see what they were doing I noticed Jonah only had one Croc on...the other one was floating in the fountain! Fortunately James has long arms. He figures Jonah was trying to reach the coins in the fountain because the whole time he was playing there he kept saying "mun-yah." Thankfully his little cankles didn't get stuck. (It reminded me of a time long ago when my sister did something similar along a trail at the zoo near a small waterfall...)


No comments: