Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I've got an Addiction

It all started in Hawaii. Not shaved ice. Not plate lunch meals. Korean dramas!!! (K-Dramas in Hawaiian-speak) Even before we got digital cable, we found K-dramas on a local tv station. At first it was because we didn't have much to watch and the dramas had English subtitles, but even after we got cable AND internet, we were still drawn back to the Korean station. Soon it was part of our nightly tv routine. We even had to cut Smallville short because the dramas would start at 7:50 p.m.When we mentioned the Korean drama to friends, they gave us this knowing smile -- how easy it was to get addicted!

"Sad Love Story" is the best one I've seen so far. At first I didn't pay too much attention to chapter 1. Jonah had just been born and we were focusing on moving home. But something in that first 30 mins. caught my attention and that was the beginning of the end. I couldn't get enough of it! OMG...just watching the first 3 episodes put me through the emotional ringer. (I know it sounds silly!) I was crying by the end of 3 or 4...and there's 20 episodes total. Looking at the calendar I was bummed because I knew I wouldn't be able to see the whole series; I bugged James about watching it for me while he was still in Hawaii...he gave me quick summaries but that wasn't enough! I was touched when James told me he even went to that local tv station to ask if the series was going to be available on DVD -- they weren't sure. (Arrrg!)

Then I found it on eBay complete with English subtitles. I placed the highest bid and "won." Last week I received it in the mail. The English subtitles are pretty bad (translated by Chinese) but I can kind of figure out what's going on. There is also Chinese dubbing, but it too is awful. Yesterday I watched 3 episodes and am very close to the end; I don't want it to end!!!

My addiction continues...

No comments: